The Journal welcomes general submissions on the law and law-related topics. Members and non-members of the Journal may submit their work.
The Journal strongly prefers submissions through Scholastica. Text and footnotes should conform to The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation (21st ed. 2020).
The Journal publishes four issues each year for Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. Submissions are reviewed on a rolling basis beginning in August and continuing until all available slots are filled.
The Journal is now accepting submissions for its 2023-2024 issues.
To ensure a fair and impartial review process, Arizona State Law Journal does not perform expedited reviews.
An exception may be made if the author demonstrates a strong desire to publish with the Journal and a clear commitment to the Arizona legal community.
Database Agreement. The Arizona State Law Journal uses Microsoft Word and WordPerfect on IBM-compatible personal computers. Selected articles from the Journal may be accessed through WESTLAW (database: AZSLJ) and LEXIS. Authors must agree to inclusion in the WESTLAW and LEXIS databases.
Publication Terms and Copyright Agreement. Below is the agreement that we ask our authors to sign:
(1) By signing this form, you, the author of the original work entitled [Title of Article] (“Work”), grant Arizona State Law Journal (“Journal”) a license to the Work and Journal agrees to publish the Work. Through this license, you grant Journal:
- the exclusive right of first publication of the Work in final form no later than two years after execution of this agreement;
- the nonexclusive right to reproduce, distribute, transmit, use, and display the Work, in whole or in part, in printed, electronic or any other medium now known or later developed; and
- the nonexclusive right to authorize others to reproduce, distribute, transmit, use, and display the Work, in whole or in part, in printed, electronic, or any other medium now known or later developed.
(2) You agree that Journal may publish the Work, and that we may sell or distribute it within that publication, on its own, or with other related materials. You also agree that we may post the Work on our website, on its own, or with other related material.
(3) You warrant that the Work is your original work, has not previously been published in final form, and will not be published in final form, in any medium (in whole or in part) until after the Work is first published in final form by the Arizona State Law Journal. The author[s] may post a current working draft of [Title of Article] on SSRN.
(4) You warrant that the Work does not defame any individual or entity, or infringe upon any individual’s or entity’s intellectual property or proprietary rights.
(5) You may not republish the Work, or permit another to republish the work, in the same or similar form as it appears in the Journal unless the Work is identified as having originally appeared in the Arizona State Law Journal at the beginning of the document, using the form, “First published by Arizona State Law Journal, Volume [XX], Issue [X].”
(6) You grant each of the foregoing rights on a perpetual, world-wide, and royalty-free basis.
(7) Journal agrees that, if Journal authorizes another party to reproduce, distribute, transmit, or display the Article, whether in whole or in part, Journal will require any subsequent publisher to include Author’s name(s) and proper notice of copyright on each copy Journal authorizes.
(8) You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Journal, the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, Arizona State University, and/or any of Arizona State University’s regents, departments, divisions, officers, agents, employees, students, or licensees in any claim, action, or proceeding that arises from a breach of any warranty in this Agreement.
By signing and returning this form, you, the author(s) and Licensor(s), are indicating your understanding, agreement, and acceptance of all of the terms of this Publication and Copyright Agreement.